These black bean and sweet potato burgers are one of my favourite veggie burger recipes! They are super easy to make and are freezer friendly. Prepare in advance and keep frozen for a day you don’t have time to cook [much healthier than store bought, frozen veggie burger patties].
- 1 can Black beans, rained and rinsed
- 1 small, Sweet potato
- 1/2 cup Corn
- 1/2 of a diced Red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup Finely diced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Oats
- 1/4 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp Fresh garlic
- 1/3 Sweet onion
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 3/4 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp Cumin, ground
- 2 tbsp Flaxseed, ground
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 drops of Liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
How to make
- Cut your sweet potato into cubes and boil in a pot until tender.
- Add olive oil to a pan and sauté your onion and garlic until translucent.
- In a blender or food processor, blend oats to make flour. Add in breadcrumbs, ground flax, nutritional yeast, cumin, sea salt, chili powder, paprika and black pepper. Blend until well combined then transfer dry mixture to a large bowl.
- Add boiled sweet potato, bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic + onion mixture, beans, worcestershire, and liquid smoke to blender/food processor. Blend well (it’s okay if some of the beans are still whole and the veg is not completely blended- this will add a nice texture!). Stir in your corn and transfer to the bowl with the dry mixture
- Mix everything together, then form into 6-8 patties [depending on preferred size]. Lay them flat on a plate and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set. [Additionally, you can place on a parchment lined plate and put them straight into the freezer for 24 hours. Once frozen, transfer them into a freezer safe bag/container for storage and have later!]
- Remove from refrigerator and heat up a pan on medium heat. Add a tsp of olive oil and cook each patty until golden/browned, about 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve on a bun or in a lettuce wrap or enjoy it alone!
I hope you enjoy cooking this recipe! if you have any questions or feedback please comment down below.